Threads is a new app launched by Meta (formerly Facebook) on “July 5, 2023” as a rival to Twitter. It is intended to offer a space for real-time conversations online, with some similarities to Twitter, such as the layout, the ability to follow and connect with other users, and the use of hashtags and trending topics.
Table of Contents
Threads is a text-based app linked to the popular photo-sharing platform Instagram. It is a Twitter rival connected to your Instagram account. The app is now available to download in over 100 countries including the UK.
Threads also have some differences from Twitter, such as:
- Posts on Threads can be “500 characters long”, compared with 280 for most Twitter users.
- Videos of up to five minutes in length can be posted on Threads, while Twitter limits videos to 2 minutes and 20 seconds.
- Users need an Instagram account to log in to Threads, and they can choose to follow the same accounts they follow on Instagram if they too have joined the new app.
- The app is not available in the **EU** due to regulatory concerns.
- Threads have attracted some celebrity backers, such as Shakira and Gordon Ramsay, as well as brands like Billboard, HBO, NPR, and Netflix.
According to Mark Zuckerberg, Threads logged **five million sign-ups** in its first four hours of operation.
Threads is seen as a challenger to Twitter, which is facing some issues following its controversial acquisition by entrepreneur Elon Musk in October 2022. Twitter has experienced outages, loss of advertisers and users, and temporary limits on how many tweets its users are able to read. while using the app.
What is the difference between Threads and Twitter?
- Threads allow longer posts and videos than Twitter.
- Threads require an Instagram account to log in, while Twitter does not.
- Threads are not available in the EU, while Twitter is.
How to download the Threads app?
- To download Threads, you need to have an iOS or Android device and an Instagram account. You can download the app via Apple’s App Store or the Google Play Store by searching for ‘Threads, an Instagram app.
- You can also find a desktop site at Threads.net.
- Once you have downloaded the app, you can log in with your Instagram account and follow the same accounts you follow on Instagram, if they too have joined the new app.
- Your Instagram username will be reserved for you on Threads.
- You can also get a Threads ‘cheat code’ on Instagram by typing ‘Threads’ into the search bar and tapping on the ticket icon that appears. This will show you a card with your Threads username and a QR code that leads to the Threads website or the App Store⁶. However, this is not necessary to access Threads.
Why did Meta launch Instagram Threads?
Meta launched Threads as a new, separate space for real-time updates and public conversations. The app is aimed to strike at Twitter’s territory.
Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg said in a Threads post following the launch that “the vision for Threads is to create an option and friendly public space for conversation. We hope to take what Instagram does best and expand that to text, creating a positive and creative space to express your ideas.
Can I share photos on Threads?
Yes, you can share photos on Threads. Threads is a text-based app linked to the popular photo-sharing platform Instagram. You can follow and connect with friends and creators who share your interests – including the people you follow on Instagram and beyond.
How to report inappropriate content on threads?
To report inappropriate content on Threads, you can follow these steps:
- Open the thread with inappropriate content.
- Tap and hold on to the message.
- Tap “Report” from the menu that appears.
- Select the reason for reporting the message.
- Tap “Report” again to confirm
Can I use threads without Instagram?
No, it’s not possible to use Threads without an Instagram account. You’ll need to have an Instagram account to sign up for Threads. Then you can download the Threads app for iOS or Android to set up your account.